Friday, June 28, 2013

Don't Mess with Nature

Many may view the floods and devastation in Uttarakhand as The Gods' punishment for our wicked ways or the result of moving an ancient idol, because of their beliefs and faith, for me this calamity is Nature's way of telling us "You mess with me and there will be a price to be paid." For me this not necessarily the great floods of Noah. For me this floods exposes our greediness, our lack of preparedness to face calamities. While we pray for the safety of those affected and those stranded and for the brave hearts who risk their lives to provide help and bring people to safety, we see the wickedness of man rear its ugly head, taking advantage of the situation. It is sad to see their plight as they face the fury of nature and wickedness together.

Somehow we never ever seem to learn from any of these calamities. I see the rampant destruction of mangroves, our protection from the fury of the sea. I see encroachment and reclamation of land from the sea and lack of clearing of rivers and nallas and drains and not to forget pollution. It makes me wonder how prepared are we for another 26/7, for another cloud burst. IT shows the laziness and mass corruption of the people who duty it is to see to it these calamities are avoided.

I can just prey that this devastation hopefully never ever happens again and people do not have to face sucha a situation.

No comments: