Sunday, February 11, 2018

The Zumba Master Class

When she called to tell me that she was finally having her solo Masterclass, I could sense the excitement in her voice, and I got infected by her excitement, after all that’s what friend do, they get excited too, for her, for the experience. However, when she told me she planned to have it in the complex’s clubhouse, became a bit skeptical. Not that I doubted her ability to conduct an event but I was concerned the issue of the people of the complex, the federation would cause.

Nonetheless, she was my bestie and I was 100 percent behind her, cause that was friends are for. At times tried to act as a devil’s advocate (figuratively and not literally), not to try and dissuade but to try and not let her get too ahead of herself (as I feared in my head). 

Met with her team and discussed the stage, discussed the capacity, the charges, met with the members of the federation to inform them about the event and get to understand the rules and charges. Once we had these sorted out it was time to bring in the registration.

I could see the anxiousness in her as the days went by. Days flew by but registrations were sluggish at the best, and I felt bad that I was doing nothing much to help ( I am really bad at sales). Nonetheless she didn’t want anything come dither her and she chugged on with the thought that she will give her best no matter who signs up.

So after numerous planning and choreographing with the team and her fellow Zins who would be with her taking the masterclass, overcoming setbacks and things that would throw someone’s mind for a spin, the day finally arrive. I knew my excitement and nerves were nothing compared to what was going through her head. But whatever was going through her head I knew she was excited and ready for this.

So after a quick prayers (as we macca pavs always do) with her family and Zins it was show time, time to put on a master class. The excitement was palpable as the ladies and few gentlemen and children were getting ready, clicking selfies. 

She informed me that her fellow Zin was doing a song which we had done and she wanted me to do it on the stage. Now my left feet syndrome took over me. Though I said yes, running through it I was several steps behind both of them. Even got me to think that it would be better I don’t come on stage.

When they started, I stood there observing her, a proud friend, seeing the crowds sweat it out, keeping up with the Zins on the stage. What’s stood out for me was my dearest and sweetest Anthony uncle so sportingly and free-spiritedly doing those steps, and my friend’s daughters keeping in step and very sweetly dancing.

And then it was my turn to go on stage, and made it through, literally stayed alive. Then you had the Zumba battle with the Zins leading their team in an interesting battle. Finally you had a cool down to the perfect song. And then it was time for clicking selfies and thank yous.

Tanya, buddy I am so proud of you and what you achieved and I know for sure you are going to go places. Keep at it and don’t let anything hold you back. 

No comments: