Sunday, March 11, 2018

This Boys Life

Growing up, I was never inclined towards sports, much to the charging of my dad who actually wanted me to take to sports like football or cricket. But then I hated either sport, and still don’t like cricket. Though my dad was over weight he was pretty nimble on his foot, whether it was playing in the goal during the zonal football, or volleyball, in what we called the building’s gutter, or at dancing. In fact, my sisters were more inclined towards sports than I was. I was always that cute kiddo, a bit chubby, who everyone loved to pinch, either the cheek or the butt cheek, completely domesticated.

Maybe that was the reason behind my dad and aunts wanting to put me in a boarding, to play sports and make a man of myself. It was at Don Bosco Lonavla where I played a variety of sports like football, hockey, basketball, volleyball, table-tennis, badminton and even softball, to varying degrees of success. But it was on the tracks where I found my feet. For this I got thank football, all the running and sliding helped me develop my speed. For the first time in my life I won my heat in the 200m, it didn’t matter that I got disqualified in the next heat. In the subsequent years I podiumed (a term I now learnt) in the 100m, 200m, 400m and relay, even representing my school at the taluka level. But I never did long distance running, I felt I didn’t have it in me.

Coming back home, after my stint in the boarding, sports took a backseat to studies and later to my job. Though occasionally played badminton on the weekends with my friend. I remember going to watch the Dream Run of the Mumbai Marathon and being enamoured by all the stars and runners but still felt I didn’t have it in me.

In 2007, for the first time I signed up for the Dream Run at the Pune International Marathon. Though I didn’t much run, I enjoyed the atmosphere. Returning back to Mumbai, after my brief stint in Pune, the Mumbai Marathon was on my To-do List, along with getting a tattoo. And after I got a tattoo on my shoulder, it was time to tick off the next item on the list, to run a marathon. So signed up for my first Half Marathon (you see, they didn’t have any qualification criteria then).

Having no clue how to train, I just went running round and round around my garden for an hour, even getting an inflammation on my knees a week before the race. But all was well by race day and on race day I was excited. I had a good run, completed my first half in 2:00:04 and was super excited about it but even more stoked to see the runners go by and cheer till I went hoarse.

This was what kept me coming back in subsequent years, doing well at times and at times bad. Those days the Mumbai Marathon was the only race I knew of and participated. A chance run-in with an ex-Project Manager who introduced me to the Mumbai Road Runners and to my first race outside the Mumbai Marathon. Remember seeing this dude who ran bare chested and another bald gentleman win a walrus moustache (or was it a handle bar) who kept running back and forth helping runners to finish. During this time I was also introduced to awesome and beautiful Runner, a total diva of the Road, who totally admire and adore. In between I even did a skyscraper dash, where I climbed a 50 storey eight time as part of team Unstoppable. 

It was not until Easter was the first time I ran the Bandra-NCPA with MRR and from that I tried to make it a point to run with them every first Sunday. They became and have become such a great part of my running journey. Through MRR I have met so many runners, who inspire me, who leave me in awe, who mentored me, who I call friends.

It took me a while before I finally decided to attempt my first full, five years to be more precise. My first full was disastrous. Went too fast and suffered cramps, muscle pulls but made it to the end. The next one was much better, no much struggle. But the one after that was a struggle and I promised myself never again, only to sign up again. However this year couldn’t finish it due to bad dehydration much to my disappointment but left me even more determined. 

I don’t think my story is that inspiring or even inspirational. I am work in progress, nothing much to write about or be I spred by. I have never podiumed up till now (waiting to turn 40 so can move up an age group and then at least get something... just kidding) and no dramatic weight loss, in fact, my weight has always yo-yo-ed and with age my pace has dropped. But I have found joy when my close friends find success, I can’t help but cheer and hoot for them. I am one distracted runner. I love to run with my music and will begin humming a tune when I hear my favourite song, and not to forget cheering my friends and fellow runners on, not to forget about being on the look out for them. I am in the end the most indisciplined Runner and have no plan or strategy.

I have always been grateful for being part of the Mumbai Road Runners, for putting me in a position to give back to running for all the love I received from it, for introducing me to runners who have have left me with my jaws on the floor. But most importantly for giving me friends for a lifetime and my running a purpose.

So there you have it, nothing interesting, not quite inspiring, but in the end it is.... This Boys Life.

No comments: