Monday, June 18, 2018

A Father’s Day Dream

I found myself standing on a familiar terrace, one that I have stood on for over 25 years of my life. I could feel a light breeze on my face as I stood there staring vacantly into space. There was loud music playing, must have been a wedding or a birthday preparation or celebration, like it could only happen in Stone Building.

Suddenly there was a familiar refrain (if I got this part of a song right) that could be heard playing over the speakers. Out of the blue came a voice, in tune with the song “Aey, Kya Bolti Tu”. I kind of knew who that voice belonged to, it was the one that I heard almost most of my life but hadn’t heard it in over a decade, never thought I would ever hear it again. Still I strained to see who it was. A smile bloomed on my face when I located the the origin of the refrain.

As if on cue, there came the response to the refrain “Aey, Kya Mein Bolun”. A familiar voice that I have heard each day of my life, morning, noon and night. I smiled and cheered as the voices of my dad and mum played of each other. I really didn’t know my mum could sing, never heard her sing before.

Later that evening we went to meet him. Seeing us, he hurried towards us, coming to the chains that bordered the area. He hugged his wife and planted a kiss on her forehead and then on either of the cheek. I teasingly suggested that he could do better and if he wanted I could turn my back, with a cheeky smile. He grabbed me and put me in a head hold like he always did.

It was a perfect moment, one that I missed, one that I longed for. I hugged him and buried my head in his shoulder. It was a perfect moment to be captured. I removed my cell trying to capture this moment for all eternity. 

I fiddled through the various modes to find the right mode. Suddenly I heard a faint sound in the background, like something ringing. The sound grew louder, a familiar but annoying sound. That’s when I realised that it was my phone’s alarm and it was time to wake up from the dream.

They say that early morning dreams tend to come true but I know this is one that will not come true. One thing for sure I am not going to shed a tear cause the memories are etched in the heart and there they will always be for eternity, making every day a Father’s Day.

No comments: