Tuesday, September 04, 2018

Ladakh Diaries: Stepathon

So finally got my running feet today. Running on what can only be described as breathtaking (I think that’s going to be an overused word for me on the trip) road, surrounded by mountains, in the chill of the morning. Seeing runners out for their run, all covered up, made me feel underdressed, if not naked. But managed to run with, correction, jog with what I wore, though chill didn’t really seem to get to me. The road was picturesque and stunning, rolling up and down, going on and on, with military trucks and ambassadors speeding. You even had the officers in the trucks saluting you, or were they waving at you. You just didn’t want to stop cause the road fascinated you, the sights left you in awe. And the cherry on the cake was that you got to see a rainbow (which can easily be said as the highlight of the run).

Though running at a pace, which I could term as jogging, there was a voice at the back of the head telling you that you need to take it easy as it was not more than 24 hours back that you landed at Leh. But still managed to cover 10km, though was not breathless, did a lot of run and walk on the return, with walking the last couple of kilometres.

The next part of the day is what I could term as a stepathon, cause we climbed so many steps. I had climbed up the steps to Raigad fort, plus had done the skyscraper dash, but this was something else, a different experience altogether. Every stairway led us to something beautiful. My only concern was mumma and how she was able to handle. But her enthusiasm never dimmed, nor did it diminish, she made it up every stair, slow and steady and taking rest when she needed. She was pretty sporty to make the trip and I am so proud and happy for her.

So we visited monasteries, we visited museums, which made it feel like an extension of my Thailand trip. Reading each and every description of the artefacts left me in awe, and the atmosphere just added to the serenity. My thoughts immediately went to my friends Doma and Raj, from whom I have got to learn so much about Buddhism and beauty associated with it and their meaning. We visited a palace and dipped our legs in an icy cold stream. Yes we even visited a school made famous by a movie (any guesses) and played dress up with traditional Ladakhi outfits. And yes we even had butter tea, tea made of butter and salt, which was an experience in trying something different.

All in all it was a memorable day, a tiring day, after climbing all those stair, but was grateful for the opportunity and chance to see the beauty, to capture it, if not in pictures but as memories etched in my mind. Now looking forward to what the tomorrow has in store. 

No comments: