Tuesday, October 02, 2018

When the lotus bloomed and became a runner

It’s been a while since I’ve tried to get him to join me on a run. We had connected on our mutual need to stay healthy and fit and our love for exercising. I had even helped him pick up running shoes, gave him running tips (though I am no where’s qualified to do so) and even got him to install a running app on his phone. But barring the one time, when I stayed over at his place, we didn’t run together. Not even when we went to Thailand. Though he had promised me to join me for a run, he was always was a sleep when I went out on my run.

So I was pleasantly surprised when he decided to do the 5k at the IDBI Federal Life Insurance Mumbai Half Marathon, was actually quite happy. He even signed up his mum and got a common friend to run the event. He was quite excited to run his first marathon, though had to remind him, and burst his bubble, that 5k ain’t a marathon (cause the distance is a matter of pride for any runner who has done at least one full marathon). But that didn’t dampen his spirit (and that wasn’t even my intention), and he was all excited as the date came closer. 

So come the expo they went very eagerly for their first expo, to collect their first ever bibs, for their first ever race. Even asking me if they should pick up shoes from the expo. And although I couldn’t be there with them, they clicked a selfie with my pic on the ambassadors wall and shared that with me.

On race day they were all ready and rearing to go, even altering their race tees. I missed meeting them at the start or to greet them when they returned back. But the glow I could see on their face, the happiness, was one of the best thing on the hot and humid Sunday. The happiness on completing their first run was evident on their faces that was flushed with glee as they displayed their medals, and clicked pics.

I was so proud of them, but I was even more proud of his mum. They  had recently lost one of their own, my friend lost his father, and auntie her husband, but here stood a lady, who had overcome that grief and was ready to move on, start something new. Her joy radiated and just added to the beautiful soul that she is. The way she posed with her medal, took in the experience and even pampered and took side of her Sonu, all left me in admiration of a strong and beautiful woman, reminding me so of my mum.

Now that he had got the taste of his first race, he’s looking forward to the next one and the beauty of it all is that his mum is looking forward to it. And meanwhile the three of them have been bitten by running bug and are eagerly training for the next one, even roping their friends in turn. So now I can proudly say that I am so proud of my friends and his mother, cause even though they may have done a 5k, no distance will ever be too small. Even a journey of a thousand kilometres starts with one single step. So no distance is ever too insignificant. So here’s to many more races to come, many more runs to come, to the joy that running brings to life.






No comments: