Saturday, August 24, 2019

Boys Dance Too

I’ve got a confession to make...

I am a boy (if I can still date to use that term) and I love to dance. Damn what do you think I was confessing? Hope I didn’t burst that bubble of that curious mind?

I love to dance when I am happy, I love to dance when I am sad, angry or mad, I even have my own Happy Dance. Dancing has a way of setting my soul free (as if it ever be contained). I don’t think I can dance, I know I can dance, my style. I may not be dancing with the stars but I dancing with myself. I blame it on the pavwala blood that flows through my veins. Put on that music and my body will automatically catch the rhythm (not always on beat) and will begin to move.

I love to dance by myself, whether anyone is watching or not. I dance for myself and for no audience. A 1-2-3 5-6-7, Quick-Quick-Slow, 1-2-cha-cha-cha 3-4-cha-cha-cha, Rise-Fall. There’s something freeing about dance. And if you should chance to see me dance, don’t think me a fool, cause I really don’t care much of what you may think, I really do like to dance, even if I may look a fool.

Sports may not be the thing I like, I’ve never ever been sportingly inclined, but dance is the thing I like and and dance will be thing I’ll do all my life. Cricket and Football I may detest, but to ballroom and jive I love the best and that’s what I will do. 

Boys do dance, and they love to dance, secure with whom they are. They don’t feel less or should be made to feel less, because they love to dance. They need to be encouraged and nurtured, kept safe from bullies and judging eyes, those who laugh at them, pick on them because they love to dance. There’s nothing wrong with boys wanting to dance, and not just Hip-Hop but Contemporary, Ballroom, Ballet , Kathak, and any dance forms. They can be as graceful and elegant as anyone. So before you laugh and poke fun at them know that you are shattering someone’s dreams and soul, and in the process loosing your own.

So I am gonna continue to dance not bothering what you may think of me. Cause frankly my darling I give damn of what you may think. I don’t really care if I am in the spotlight or the attention of the ladies. I’ll dance for myself. Cause Boys do dance. 

“One Of The Lessons That I Grew Up With Was To Always Stay True To Yourself And Never Let What Somebody Else Says Distract You From Your Goals.” 
– Michelle Obama


No comments: