Monday, March 09, 2020

The Man

If I was the label
That you’re used to 
If I ticked off all the boxes 
Of your checklist 
That you choose to use
If I said those words
Just to woo you
Would I be the MAN to you?

If I was calculative 
If I was cool
If I did things to just show off
And manipulate you
If I followed your every rule
If I boasted about 
My so called bright idea
Just to impress you
Would I be the MAN?

If I played sports
And was more outdoor
If wasn’t so domesticated 
And knew house chores
Others were meant to do
If did all the things
That a boys should do
So I could please you
Would I be the MAN to you?

I’m sick and tired 
Of trying hard as I can 
Trying to be the MAN!
I am sick and tired 
Of trying to be something I can’t 
Just to prove that
I can be the MAN!
Would I be MAN?

But I can’t be boxed in a hole
Or be labelled
Cause I am more than just a position
I seek more than a position
Or think myself of any community 
I show by actions 
And not just through words
How much I care 
But I will never try 
To do anything
Just to get close to you
Or try to flatter and please you
I am way more than that
 Cause the bad ones get the cream
While the good deal with a broken heart

I refuse to brag 
About the things I’ve done 
Or take credit for what I’ve not
Or butt kiss or boot lick
To be in your good books
And move ahead 
As a career move
I may lack the power moves
Or refuse to be drawn
Into a political game

But I take pride of all things I do
About who I am
Who I strive to be
But that means nothing to you
I try not to judge
The ones I know and meet
Always a giver 
With little in return
But I don’t mind it 
Cause that’s who I am 

I get hurt and I get bruised
And bear those scars 
On being used
I may tear up
But I will never let you see me cry
Those tears in my eyes
Cause they are mine
Not because I don’t want 
To be seen as weak

Others may walk over me
But don’t take me for granted
Cause I may be patient
But if you stretch me too far
I will snap
And then maybe
You’ll feel the pain I feel
But then I refuse to stoop 
Or come down to a level
That would be low for me

But no matter what
I’ll still be the better MAN
I’ll be the MAN!

No comments: