Wednesday, September 21, 2022

The Stream


I could hear it calling out to me. In its deep roar, beckoning me to follow it, not downstream, but up, to its source, somewhere hidden and secret.

And as I follow its call, this heaviness in me slowly gets lighter. Like I have been shredding off the weight that’s been weighing heavy on my heart, heavy in my mind, holding me down.

I plod slowly and steadily up the slope, constantly listening to its roar, which sometimes turns to whisper, a murmur, as it veers away from my path. But still it constantly whispers in my ears to follow it.

Now slopes and I share a love-hate relationship, but then like most of my relationship, even this hate seems one-sided. Cause though I may curse and state how much I hate these slopes, I know it makes a better, stronger and a fitter me, and somehow these damn slopes love to challenge me.

So I continue to walk up this slope as the roar keeps pushing me to follow it.

And low and behold I come to place all secluded, quiet and peaceful. Far from the hustle-bustle of the city, far from the maddening crowd. 

I take off my sandals and dip my toes in the coolness of this stream, slowly and steadily making my way to a rock where I can sit and take in this moment.

I let my feet be submerged in the cool water, which therapeutically, along with the rocks, try to soothe the aching that they feel, that my sole and soul feels.

I sit there on the rock in quiet meditation. The sound of the stream, as it makes it way over rocks and stones and sandy beds, leaving me in a meditative stupor (if I am using the term rightly).

In this moment I find the quietness that I’ve yearned for, that I desperately needed to begin my healing process, to begin a journey back to me. And a tear rolls down my cheek and mingling with the stream, cause even I cry.

Even though I could sit on this rock for all eternity but the world that I left behind calls me back. And I slowly make my way back, trying not to loose my footing. 

I pause over a bridge, staring down at the stream. In this stream there’s a lesson for me. I could be like the rock that stands firm against the impact of the stream, never budging from it place against all adversity.

And then there’s the stream not letting anything stop it or hold it back, either making its way through, or over, or around, anything that comes in its way, never staying stagnant, always moving, pushing through, powering through, never to let it stop.

Taking these lesson and these moments of peace and of solitude I return back to the the life I knew.

No comments: