Monday, February 09, 2009

Who Do You want Me To Be???

"I can be brown, I can be blue, I can be violet skies. I could be purple, I could be anything you like...Why don't you like me without making me try."

Growing up I rememeber my aunt telling me why can't I be more like my elder sister, quite, not mischievous, less talkative...why couldn't I be like her. As I grow older I know my mom would want me to be like my best friend. Married, settled, with a good paying job, and most importantly with kids.

Well I myself wanted to be someone else. Someone who I thought would be more acceptable to others. Someone who wouldn't appear dull and boring. Someone who would be handsome and good looking and would have everyone swooning over me. Someone who would get the job done and get the bouquets and throw the bricks at others.

We all want to be someone better, someone more acceptable than we are. Or at least that's what we think. We want to be someone else for others, someone more in tune what other want us to be. But that may not be what is good for us.

We want to have that body and look like the men's health magazine cover model and so we work ourselves into a muscle spasm for that. When we go for an interview we try to be someone who pleases the interviewer. At work we are people who our bosses wants us to be. Everywhere you see we are being people for the sake of someone else.

So when are we ourselves. The person behind the mask. Actually we ourselves when we are with the people who lets us be who we are. Kids, romantics, lovers, idiot, neurotics and so much more. It's when we are with them we can behave like who we really our.

No comments: