Saturday, March 07, 2009

The Futility an Indian TV Soap

Firstly let me clear this point. I hate Hindi soaps from the very core my being. I seriously can't stand them and feel that they are mind numbing. Even though I am never in way forced to see them, somehow my curiosity gets the better of me. So the bottom line is, in the end I hate these shows.

Well very recently these shows have begun the trend of using social message to entertain. At the sight of it it seems good that they are trying to pick up some socially relevant messages like child marriages, plight of widows, abortions, compared to saas- bahus and the villonous vamps and relatives. But then this joy is short lived because in the end they do nothing to highlight the pont they should be getting across. It's not enough that you bring the point up or even mention it, but then what are you doing for the issue. Just mentioning it in the show just won't do, where is the solution? How do you make sure that your viewers are not interpretation it in the wrong way, the case in example the attacks and murders being planned using ideas from movies.

Shows that starts off with child marriage, only to put it in the backseat. Then takes up the right to abort a pregnancy because of the danger it would cause to the mother, only to find the character to give in to her in-laws and all the time acting like a dead duck and not like a lady that is about to revolt. The same goes to widowhood.

Although these shows started off as something different, they have slowly steeped into the same tactics to gain audience, for example killing off the main characters. I complain about the relevance these shows have for todays time. But aunt curtly tell me that this happens in villages. Even if it happens in villages do I need to watch it on prime time television and be tortured by it for hours together on the only days I have access to the television.

I seriously hate these shows.

No comments: