Sunday, May 02, 2010

Is my English Really Poor

On Friday I was told by the business head that my English was pretty poor. This was after he had read what I had drafted for the proposal. Though I squirmed when I read what was written, in my defense that was a draft version and not the final one. And as I had written it in a hurry while multitasking , there were bound to rewrites and edits. Since it wasn't the final draft of the text I don't think he should have been reading it and making his comments until he had the final version of the file. also i had not seen the file itself so I needed to take the time to edit it.

Yup what he said made me question my English abilities. Though I admit that I am verbose, often think quicker than write. And even though I am not a literature and language major, my English is definitely not poor. So when he made this statement, this not only hurt but it also left me fuming. What I should have told him was the facts and asked him to read the final version. But since I didn't tell him that and the dude butted in between he was bound to make such statement.

I know one thing that I have had the least amount of edits from the SME for my storyboards, so where does the question of my English being poor comes up. I know at times I don't read what I write, but no way is my English is poor. So when someone tells me that the content and language is poor, after the SME, who has a doctorate, has approved it, I feel like turning around and questioning their abilities to make such a comment.

Such statements can be frustrating and downright disheartening. What I need to do is to keep this as lesson. I shouldn't be letting this bog me down but learn from it and move on and not sweat too much over it. Make it a point to prove your ability to your detractor and make them feel small and eat their words.

I ain't no quitter!!!!

No comments: