Tuesday, November 15, 2016

The Great Halloween Run

As I stood in the dark awaiting for the first sign of life, I could feel a slight nip in the air. Was it the weather or was it just me. Then in the distance I saw a shape take form. Slowly coming towards me, as if floating on thin air, almost levitating. The air suddenly felt chillier as if the temperature dropped, as this form approached. Slowly I could see it take form, this strange creature.  Was it of this earth or even of this world? And as it approached I turned and let out a shriek, "Water, Fast and  Up, Oranges"
Well this was the MRR Halloween Run, the one time of the year when you see runners take to the road wearing strange running gear and masks, as if they had just returned from ComicCon and yes I was volunteering.
Dressed as a runner's version of Don Jaun DeMarco (you see I'm a lover not a scarer) I found it liberating to stand on the road and serve, to make sure runners had proper hyderation. To greet my fellow running soles (and souls) and  ghouls and receive sweaty hugs and thank you and even a wonderful God Bless. It felt blessed to serve with my fellow volunteers, to cheerfully chat with one and  other and runners has they stopped by. To pose for photographs and to ensure that every runner remained hydrated as they went by, even if this meant standing in the road and blocking them.
And then at the end it was time to cheer the contest winners, the costume winners, for the group photograph, to show Sam how much we Love Love and then go about posing for the shutter bugs. This month saw a unique initiative by the Green Sole to collect old shoes for the needy. All in all it was a Sunday morning well spent amidst wonderful friends and fellow runners.
P.S.  Roop Betala for the wine... cheers buddy.

No comments: