Monday, June 05, 2017

Dream a little Dream for ME

Dreams are your window to what you can be, who you want to be, what you are capable of. Sometimes you may give up on them, but they have a way of never giving up on you. Just when you least expect it, there they are standing in front you, smiling at you, with that "I told you so" look (not the sheldon kind). Dreams have a way of coming true. 

I have a dream (not the MLK kind), or I had one, or I still have one (so confusing). I wanted to be a model (ok, ok, I can hear the snickering). I even got a portfolio done, matter of fact two them, one quite edgy and the other standard, met coordinators and even went for an audition. But then circumstances and Home Loans would have it, felt that modelling was something not for me. Look at me, I don't look one and neither do I have a physique like one. I knew I couldn't possibly be one. But somewhere at the back of head there was and still is, a yearning to do something. Especially when you see and help with shoots.

But just when you least expected, you get a DM asking you if you would be interested in being part of a photoshoot for a sports shorts. At first, i was wondering if it was true or just someone playing a prank on me. Even so i decided what was there to loose, so agreed to do it. Got a call Pravin, the co-founder of Athlos, who explained to me about the shoot and the concept, and from that I was on board.

Was pretty stoked about it since the brand was active wear and excited about the concept too as it had to do with running... so double wooohooo! And so the day dawned, but before I could don the hat of a model, I had take my job of a runner, a pacer, at the MRR run, cause I wouldn't want to miss it for the world, well not for June. I actually dared to purchase a full sleeves active combat gear so as to insure I didn't get a tan. So did a good 21 kms in the sweltering and humid Mumbai weather, greeted my friend, waited patiently for my dearest Jennifer To show up, wished and then was off to get ready for my shoot.

Tired and stoked are two things that don't mix well, but they were what I felt as I travelled to Seawood, Nerul, the location for the shoot. Picked my friend Saagar on the way and then we were off. Reaching there had to first find change for the cab, which made me hate the 2000 rupee note even more. 

At the gate met Pravin, who then introduced me to Shruti, the co-founder and the art director, Krutika (who was part of the Athlos team) the junior photographer and our photographer, Himanshu. Shruti ran me through the shoot board which she had prepared for the shoot (really began to like the way she worked). So the shoot was all about running and gymming, which was right up my ally. She then gave me the products, awesome black shorts (what they were promoting) and an equally awesome blue crew neck tee. So had two colours I loved. I even quipped that they matched my blue Pegasus shoes. Shruti further noted that the orange in the shoes would match the orange tee they picked for the next change. 

As we waited for my fellow model Rahul to reach, it was decided to move to the first location and begin the shoot with my solo shots, so that when Rahul came, his solos could be done then. So off we went to what I'll refer to as Seawood Lake. This was beautiful and scenic lake with a trail running around its border. It was hot and there were quite a bit of couples and college students (who seemed to have discovered a DSLR and how it could help their profile pic). While travelling, I noted that the short felt nice and light, almost as if they were not there. 

So Shruti explained to me what they were going to capture, Himanshu directed what he wanted me to do, and then it off to running back and forth, more like striding, while Himanshu and Krutika captured it. At once I knew I was in for a long and tiring afternoon (as I had run 21k in the morning). We captured some running pics and some while acted as I stretching looking at the lake (thank you Simtha and Giles sir for all your stretching sessions, they. Cam in handy). In the meanwhile, Rahul arrived with Pravin. At once I knew I was going to have an immense complex. Rahul is a sprinter who coaches at SAI training centre at Kandivali. Here was this guy who was a bit shorter than me, a little dark, but totally ripped and lean with chest and abs I could only wish for, at least for now.

So once I was done with my solo, it was time for Rahul's solo. Once Rahul's solo was done, we started with duo pics. Now since Rahul is a sprinter and I am a kind of long distance runner, we needed To match the pace and stride, this also gave me some time to get to know Rahul better, so we could have a natural chemistry for the pic. So we captured pics on the trail and couple of pic under an underpass. By now we were attracting the attention of group of teenagers who were clicking pics. And then we proceeded to the front of the park. Since I really wanted to some feedback I asked my friend Saagar what he thought about how it was going. Much to my relief he gave me a thumbs up.

So we reached the front of the park. On the way learnt about brand Athlos, about their products, how they positioned themselves and marketing strategies, which quite impressed me. Now the next shot needed us to to relax on the grass with one of us having to take off the our tee. Obviously that had to be Rahul, come on the chappy had abs and I had something that was not abs, but definitely not quite flab. He certainly gave some abs and chest goals. We clicked a couple of pics relaxing on the grass and then it was time to move to the other side of the lake.

Now here, since the light was not capturing the reflectors, Himanshu proceeded to use a couple of flashes. Unfortunately for me, my bunny rabbit or t-Rex hands came to the fore and I had to find a way to correct them. So we clicked a couple of solo pics and a few group pics, with Pravin joining us in the background. While clicking the duo pics there was a branches that came in the way which unfortunately needed to be rid off. We clicked a couple of more pics on the small path between the park and the road and some on the trail by the lake, especially against the girders of the bridge that supported a water pipeline. 

Once done we finally proceeded back to clubhouse from where we started. As i was already a bit drained from all the running, I managed to catch a quick wink in the car, as only I can do. Once back in the gym, it was a great relief to be indoors, away from the heat and sun and in an air conditioned environment. We took a couple of pics in lunges and squats and stretches to highlight the comfort the shorts provided as a gym wear. 

Once we were done with the gym there was a quandary of whether to take a break, as the light outside was harsh, or proceed with the last location, the steps. Once out it was decided to check the last location, to see if the light was good enough. For our good luck, it was. So we proceeded with the last segment of our shoot, the stairs. Now this could be quite tricky as the stairs were narrow and you needed to maintain your footing, especially coming down. But then we both did our shots and took a couple of shots of casual stretching, and with that it was a wrap. 

So now that shoot was a wrap it was selfie time, to capture the moment, to record Insta stories and post them. Both Rahul and I changed into our normal clothes, giving me time to pick tips from him, and we all headed to Subways for a well deserved sandwich, or subs. Over sandwiches we got to learn a little bit more about each other, where we lived, how we commuted (and survived to tell the tale of our travels) and bit more about Athlos. Once done it was time to book a cab, to head home and rest the weary body, with the experience of the day as a memory to cherish. A promise to help in more shoots.

I really like to thank Athlos, Shruti and Pravin, for choosing me to be a part of their brand campaign even tough I am not a model ( I can hear Saagar do a face palm at this), to Himanshu and Krutika for all the capturing, for my friend Saagar for agreeing to accompany me and lastly Rahul of being an awesome model. It was really an experience, and not to sound cliche, a dream come true. A day where I was truly a model, not playing one. Can't wait to see the output of the pics. So all in all don't dream it's over... cause you'll never know when it will come true.

No comments: