Tuesday, June 13, 2017

Round and Round We Go: Experience of a Runnaholic

Going round and round in a circle is not my ideal race to run. That being said, last year witnessing the 12 hour team relay really made me want to participate, be a part of a team. It also left me feeling a bit sad that no team thought of asking me. Not that I am a bad runner, and I know I would be an asset to any team, so was kind of surprised at not being asked. But then what was done was done.

This year, I eagerly waited for some team to ask me. When the moment presented itself I eagerly jumped at the opportunity. Irrespective who asked, I knew I wanted to give it my best. But then due to a goof up and a really foolish situation, I was left with this annoyed and sad feeling.

A week to the run, and I resigned myself to the fact that once again I was relegated to the role of cheering. But a chance  call brought the hope back again and not wanting to miss the opportunity, I immediately agreed to it. 

So here I was, all set to run the last slot for my team. A little nervous, a little wary knowing that the temperature could get hot and humid during the slot, nevertheless excited. Didn't think I needed to prepare cause had run for two hours and above. Hence felt there was nothing to be worried.

The day arrived and I decided to reach the venue well in advance so that I could cheer my friends and at the same time avoid the railway mega block. The first thing i noted when I reached the stadium was that it was one humid cauldron. As I made my way to the stands to greet my friends and fellow runners I told myself I was prepared for this. 

So as the slot kept going and runners ran, felt the tinge of nervousness building. Admired the various running forms and runners and picking some valuable running tips. It rained for an entire slot bringing some respite, but then it stopped and the temperature returned to being humid. As it drew closer to 3 pm the nervousness was pretty palpable. I quickly changed into my running gear and started my stretching.

As we waited at the line up, met my good friend and running Diva. We decided to keep pace together as we did not want to push. We were then joined another really good runner who decided we all will pace together, at least for the first half. So when we started off the three of us joined together, running steadily down the track, passing photographers and other runners and being passed by other runners. There was a slight breeze which disappeared after a while. Sipping water and passing it on and supporting each other and our runner friends. 

After a while, going round and round and the weather seemed to get to me. Wanted to just stop and walk. But didn't want to as I would seem like a wuss. So kept going. So when we were over an hour mark, we decided to break away and run at our individual pace. Briefly walking brought some respite. Then it was back to running steadily. Played with the idea of doing something I have never done before. I removed my running vest and handed it over to my friend and ran bare chested. Felt nice and light and cool. 

As I kept passing the clock just waiting for it to hit the two hour mark. By this time I decided to walk to the water station at every round, drink water and pour it on myself to keep my body from overheating. And it seemed to work, was able to up the pace. It is always a morale booster when you heard your friend cheering and egging you on, offering you water and fruits, teasing you by asking if they could pace you. 

So we finally entered the last stretch and I decided time to sprint, assuming this was the last lap. Alas there was time for one more. Here I felt like a spent force, I decided to go on one more lap, Ans walked for a while to catch my breath. Then as I reached the last bend seen people trying to pace their friend, decided to give it my all and began my sprint to the finish. When I finally finished, pumped my fist knowing I did what I set out to do. Covered well over 21 kms in those two hours in the hot and humid weather. 

As I received the medal from my friend, who was eager to put it on my neck and posed for pics, I knew it was now an experience to treasure. All I wanted to do is find something to drink and fall flat and rest.

All in all an it was an experience to savour. Although it left me feeling a hell lot drained, couldn't asked for it any other way of trying push the limits to see how far you can go. So left the venue with a sense of pride at what was achieved, individually and most importantly for the team. 

No comments: