Monday, January 21, 2019

The Running Excursion

“Best of Luck...
.. and don’t fuck it up.”
-RuPaul

Well this was something that kept resounding in my head as race day steadily drew near. Something I was so wanting to say to all my fellow Runnaholic (thanks to RuPaul Drag Race... which I am addicted to watching). Consciously kept away from the 5 Stars this time around. But then as luck would have it, and my stomach too, I did fuck it up. Woke up in the morning to a gripping pain, a loose bowel (call it ill timed eating non-veg).

Though the target was to complete the race, standing at the holding area I felt could chase that PB (but a part of the head kept saying, abhe aukat main re and complete the race, PB later). 

So after the customary hugs and greetings, and that all important hug from Sangeeta Ma’am (one thing I have to always do, but best luck wish), it was off to the starting line, slowly and steadily moving with a bunch of nervous (that’s me) and excited (everyone else) runners busy chattering away, trying to focus, taking pics and selfies (to the people who light up Victoria Terminus (not going to call the building CST) why oh why the coloured lights, it ruins the architecture). 


So crossing the start line, switching on your Garmin, your NRC, and signing yourself, off you went, down the heritage road to fountain, on a ramp, thanks to the metro work. Now a pee break caused me to loose my buddy Dylan, who went off in a flash. Without music (for the first time), without my buddy Dylan, I swore was going to cross that bloody finish line.

All through the race you have your fellow runners coming to cheer you on or even patting you from behind and then overtaking you, so you end up fighting the urge to speed up, fighting back gripping pains (which was determined to make it presence felt at regular intervals). But once into the race, they were all but forgotten. 

As we Mumbaikars know, and are very well aware of, the weather can be finicky, and it didn’t stray from its mood swings, adding that extra dimension to the race. So the stomachaches were gone but once again started to feel that dizziness, bringing memories of the previous year. The feet suddenly felt like it was blistering (not from the pace that is), bringing with it the extra challenge, surprising you cause you’ve run in them before. So all along the head was popping this question “do you want to quit?” “It’s ok if you want to”, “why oh why do you torture yourself and sign up for this?” tempting you throw in the towel. But then you note that you have managed to go further than you did last year, and you can just as well do it, let the timing go for a toss.

So it was run and walk, with that strategy varying as the run went by. So for the first time clicked a pic on the sea link, courtesy of our star volunteer Charu. 


All through the route the spirit of Mumbai was on display, and kept proving why the Mumbai Marathon is more than a run (as an outstation Running group mentioned why), it’s about Mumbaikar, the people and the kiddos who spur you on. So thanks to the water stations, the official and the unofficial ones, to everyone who came there with water and hydration and fruits and jaggery, the children reaching out with water and high fives. Last year may have put me off Orsl, this year was grateful for all the oranges (cause we runners need it anyway), consumed quite a bit on route. And thanks tosoo many of running buddies who kept pushing me on, who I met on the way. Was grateful to see my MRR Family, who greeted me with hugs, Shweta and Ami putting some yummy dark chocolate in my hand, Alpa handing me a sip of Prerna yummy and refreshing drink (but not before she clicked a selfie). 



Thanks to my smile twin, Ajit for helping me stretch when my muscles were sore, and of course was awesome to see the ARC tribe who kept cheering and pushing (thanks Varun for that timely spray). 

So after passing the last MRR cheerzone, it was off to the finish, in the company of Vishy, paced by Vijit. Tried to sprint and up the pace to the finish line, but it seemed like it would never approach. But in the end gave it all that I had remaining in the tank, crossed that damn finish line. I would be lying if I said that timing didn’t disappoint me a Incy-winsy but, but hey was glad to finish at 5:00:01 (according to my Garmin, and 4:59:49 officially). I may have not achieved my PB, but hey got a PH. 

Felt awesome meeting fellow runners and buddies. The race was done and it was time to celebrate, and avoid asking that prickly question (what was your timing and how was your run), while answering as diplomatically as possible. No matter the time, I can say I was proud to finish what I started. 

So finally comes the thank you to all the people on the street, cheering you on, supporting your, the MRR and Malad  family (ones I couldn’t do without), the ARC tribe. Finally to my BNP stooges, Pankti and Dylan, without whom I would not have completed this run. So now it’s back to the drawing board and return to a normal life, till the next race.



No comments: