Monday, January 06, 2020

Brunch... Lunch... and a Reunion of sorts

Is it still a Brunch if you turn up to the place at a time when you should be having your lunch (and your hungry self has already had a breakfast of eggs)??? Would it be lunch and high tea, LunTea (term coined by me which, from the looks, I am not quite good at)? But then I don’t think they serve tea, I am not sure if they even had Iced Tea (I think I did ask for it), unless it’s the Long Island kind.

To cut a long story short (was I even narrating one, I’ve only just begun), for all practical purposes we were there for a Brunch, so let’s call it what we there for, and that is Brunch. So Brunch it is (yipeeee, I seemed to have overused a single term)!

So the moment you enter, the view leaves you stunned. You practically have the entire Dubai skyline visible in front of your eyes (now how cool can that be). You can see the Burj Khalifa in the distance (is there any place in Dubai where you can’t see the Toothpick, barring my sister’s place, which technically is in Sharjah?). The ambience is to die for. You already picked out tons of spots where you want to click pics of yourself (obviously, always your first choice, me before the rest, talk about being narcissistic), and yes there will be great pics of others. So you go click happy (such a touristy thing to do, which also kinda ensures that people know you’re not a local). Was so happy clicking moments that my cousin tried to strike a deal that for every pic I clicked had to take a sip of the Shangrila (when even a sip of wine goes to your head, things can get quite quiet, its not funny).

Inspite of all the complaining, we all love to pose (oh come on now, you don’t have to be so modest), and so you capture memories with family and friends, leaving no stone unturned, and in this case, no family member unclicked (if that’s even a word). The food leaves you salivating, and you wonder if you just heard a bell ring, somewhere (a sidey attempt at ID humour). The beer is flowing, though it’s cranberry juice for you. 

Just as more people begin to appear (call it IST, or Indian Origin Standard Time, cause an Indian will be Indian no matter what, and where), the phone rings and it’s time for Prince Charming (for a change) to leave the Ball, oops I mean the Brunch (yikes did I just call myself that)!
You quickly say your farewell and quickly hop into a cab (courtesy of my sis) and off to a reunion of sorts you go.

Now the cab driver was quite a friendly driver, or should I say chatty driver, and me being me, was at my chatty self, a change from my loner, low self I was most of the time on the trip. But then you remember about the cautioning you have received, and you try to busy yourself to keep your pie hole shut (looks like I was hungry).

Reaching the destination safely, came the tricky part, finding where exactly your friends were. But thanks to Google Maps and
WhatsApp Live Location (no I am not trying to do a product placement), and a lot of effort to find my bearing (thanks to being directionally challenged) finally managed to find them. What followed was craziness, 20 years in the making, after all we were getting together after 20 years (duh).

So there was 20 years of catching up to do. There was a lot of reminiscing to do, loads of cringe worthy memories to bring up and relive, and bones to be picked, after all a lot of things can happen over a cup of coffee. So we behaved like we were not like the matured adults we thought we were. So there were pics with glares and then without glares, this angle and that angle. And if the pic wasn’t good then had to be taken again (posing for pics can be a pain in the neck).

In between came the discussion of Boyfriend or Husband Material (don’t ask me what they mean, cause I am trying to find that out myself), beside the reunion shifting from beach to beach. I am sure to have the title of most boring material. And yes also did give a salsa lesson (after all you just can’t your dancing feet still). 

It was good to catch with friends after all this while, though we missed all who couldn’t make it cause it’s difficult to get everyone in one place, and this was something quite impromptu (which are the best). Though tired and a bit stressed, after all there was a flight to catch, glad  to have made it, you never know when such a thing would be possible again.

Once again it was time to leave and rejoin the Brunch, which now had shifted to another location. Though you try to remain calm and not be on tenterhooks, you just can’t help yourself, it’s so in built in you. 

In the end had quite the hectic but satisfying last day of my Dubai diaries. Though was drained, but pretty happy, cause in the end you made memories that would last with you forever. More like saving the best for last!


No comments: