Wednesday, January 01, 2020

Soaring (Running) like a Kite!!!

What do you do when you find yourself on a running track, with an awesome weather, and see the good looking, fit, active and lean people of the world taking to running, jogging, or just leisurely walking? You run, even though you are wearing nothing remotely close to your running gear, barring your Garmin watch. Though you initially said you wouldn’t, and continue to be click happy, but how can you keep yourself from running when others are doing it. So handing  over my backpack, took off my jacket, starting off my Garmin and NRC (like I always do), and off I went.

At first felt strange and self conscious, running without wearing anything close to running, but thankfully my shoes were conducive to running and I could actually run in them, even though they were meant for walking. Though I initially started slowly, the running keedas (as my buddy Eugene puts it), got the better of me. The weather was nice and cool and breezy, so could up the pace without breaking much of sweat, and surprised myself with the pace I was able to maintain.

So followed the green track, my very own yellow brick road, and went where it lead me, like all good runners do. I ran past people playing volleyball, beach volleyball to be correct (damn their toned, lean physique made me feel like a fat slob), past family strolling, kids gleefully running around, some riding their scooters and tricycle, people out on a stroll, others just enjoying the evening outing, the first day of the new year. I ran past cafes filled with patrons, children on swing bridges and fire foxes, speed boats hooked on their trucks, in short everyone having a good evening.

Of course you had runners out on their run, some serious, focused, with their music and running gear, others joyous, or chatting. Somehow I missed Mumbai and running there, where you can be focused, but you also smile and receive a warm smile in return (or a piercing stare), where you can applaud the efforts of others, and be applauded yourself. The joy of cheering others and pushing them on, I sorely missed it. I missed running with my partners in crime, Dylooo and Pankti, and our silly, nonsensical chatter, our bud bud, or as Dylan put it, all the much much we make. Running in Mumbai is something else. After all, you can take the Boy out of Mumbai, but you can never take Mumbai out of the Boy.

Keeping the Burj Al Arab in my line of sight (damn was it breathtaking in the night , with all the colourful lights, shinning in the night sky), I ran past my family, waving as I passed them, then past my uncle and aunt (who were at the start), clicking some quick pics with the Burj Al Arab in the background, back to the family.

Although the evening was cool, I did a manage to sweat, not too profusely like I usually do, but then this isn’t Mumbai. So quickly removing my tee and putting on my jacket, I once again went from runner to a tourist. I marveled at the fact I was able to squeeze a run, a quick one too, covering over 6 kms in just over 30 minutes. 

Thanks to all the running I managed to work up an appetite, and savour the delicious Arabic meal at Al Fahad, and some good conversation in the company of family. The lows of the previous  night seemed like a distant memory.

Dinner was followed by a drive to the Palm Jumeirah and a visit to the Atlantis, after all no visit to Dubai can be complete without seeing these places . You marvel at the fact that these place are carved from the sea, a fact that also causes you to shudder. You are left astounded by the fact there are parts that you are driving under the sea. And though we may joke about holding your breath, each time we went under, couldn’t help but be mesmerised at what they managed to achieve.

So that’s a wrap for the  first day of the new year. Finally managing to make the most of the short trip. At the same time I’ve realised that I have just a few more days till I am back to good old Mumbai. But till then I am going to try and make the most of my stay here. 

No comments: