Tuesday, January 02, 2018

Vacation Diaries - Part VI: The Tourist

Be a tourist, and that will be the best way you will see the city. Since coming to Thailand I have run on the beach of Patong and the promenade of Jomtein, did snorkelled in the waters of Phi Phi, island hopped, rode tuk-tuks, shopped at Weekend markets, stayed in a Hostel, but never truly became a tourist and seen the sights the city has to offer. 

All that changed on the last day at Bangkok. Though I still managed to get in a run (actually done one run in each of the cities which we stayed), and on a whim joined my friend in taking in the sights of the city. And to think of it, I am glad I decided to that, cause what we saw took out breath away, left us awed and made use marvel.

We visited the Wat Arun temple, or the Temple of Dawn, rode the ferry on the Chao Phraya river, visited the Grand Palace, saw the sleeping Buddha at Wat Pho, again took a ferry all the way to Asiatique (thanks to the suggestion of my Parag and Ajit), had pizza and beer (my first in almost a decade), and rode the Ferris wheel.

Each location, each place, each sight, was so beautiful that words wouldn’t do justice to what the eyes saw. The architectures, the colours, the paintings, the statues, the sights, were so beautiful, so gorgeous, left you marvelling at the details that went into making them, putting it together, left you wondering how was this possible. Also full credit goes to the people who maintain it, the golds, the reds, the greens, the marble, shone radiantly even after all these years in the sun. Inspite of all this you have the feeling of peace especially in the Temple of the Emerald Buddha, at the Grand Palace, it was so beautiful and serene, surrounded by walls and ceilings of paintings. We even got blessed at Wat Pho from a monk who clearing enjoying blessing people with a wet broom, as much as the people who were getting blessed.

On a fun part, although I wore acceptable jeans, for the heck of it picked up, what I call harem pants, and changed in public and wore it. So although it clashed with my shirt, it was awesome and airy.

Riding the river was an experience in itself.  Seeing the other boats speed by and the architecture on either banks of the river, and then getting to see the beautiful setting sun, was something I am going to take with me for the rest of my life.

They say you come to Bangkok to party, to get laid, but then these are things you can do in Mumbai itself (although I admit that I am not comfortable and never like parties), but taking the sights and experiences that the city has to offer is different thing altogether.

So as I wind up my Thailand trip, and return to my mundane life, I will take with me an experience that I will cherish for a lifetime.

No comments: