Tuesday, April 03, 2018

The Ambassador Quandary

Let’s face it, even though you may not acknowledge it, flat out deny it, but in your hearts of hearts you want it, long for it, pine for it, pray for it, like the desert praying for rains. You want to be known, if not famous, you don’t want to be just another face in the crowd, but definitely not infamous.

So when you are selected to be one of the Ambassador of the IDBI Federal Life Insurance Mumbai Half Marathon, for 2018, (phew that was quite a lot of words to type) you let a big wooohooo, because you have finally made it. But then you ask your self what did you do to deserve this honour (if not accolade... but then for someone like me it amounts to something like it)? This replaces the previously silly niggling question, what do I need to do become an ambassador (come on, I know you too must have thought about this)?

Perplexing and confounding as it sounds (and downright silly) let me try and analyse what could possibly have led to me being selected for this profound honour (ok now I sound like a typical Miss India... but hey let’s go with the flow) not just for my sake but for the sake of every person whose brains are definitely getting fried with this burning question (and for some... why him and not me... Us may kya hain jo muj main nahi (wow I am seriously trying to flex my silly Hindi)). So for these poor lost, perpetual envious souls, let’s analyse. 

Being a runner, the first requirement would be podium finisher. But hey I have yet to get my podium. Still waiting for it, hoping for it, longing for it, praying for it. Maybe I just need to hit the big four oh and then I get to compete with the seniors, people more or less my age, may be then I could stand any chance (come on, I can’t run at the speed of runners  half my age and let’s face it, I am not getting faster with age). The only time I stood on the podium was in school when I ran track and I don’t think anyone knows about it (or do they now).

Another possibility is being an ultra runner. But hey I haven’t run anything beyond 42km and that too I have struggled (still smarting from not completing my 42 at TMM), and I have shied and refrained from all the 12 hour and 24 hours runs. So this is definitely not the reason for my selection.

Another point of contention would be popularity. But hey as compared to my fellow ambassadors I don’t think I am that popular, or so I think (just not trying to be humble). Yep I have seen a spike in the number of friend requests on Facebook and follow request on Instagram but really I don’t think I have a dedicated followers. Heck I have just one follower for my blog. So I am not sure if popularity has anything to do with my selection.

Another reason, which I can think of, is being an inspiration. But then I don’t have no inspirational story to tell. I haven’t had to overcome adversity or had dramatic weight loss. Dang I am still trying to loose weight but it doesn’t want to get lost at all. My life is definitely not what inspirations are made of, in fact it is far from it. But then I do find joy cheering others on and seeing friends finish on the podium.

Shoot it seems like I am running out of reasons to analyse but I am still far from the true reason. It feels like the truth is out there but it is eluding me. Dang I am even begun to be over dramatic about it.

Well two people who can surely throw light on this predicament (hey this is not my predicament). Maybe I can ask Sunil Sir or Sangeeta ma’am (or just ask both of them) on why did they choose me, cause the nation wants to know, ok ok, not the nation just curious people, me included. So till I get their response, I will revel in my newfound popularity, as well as responsibility, while those who envy can eat their heart out.... just kidding.

No comments: