Monday, April 09, 2018

The Single Boy in the City

It’s not easy being a single boy in the city. Yayaya, I can here the laughter, or may be it’s just the voices in my head, I can imagine you keeling over in peels of laughter. Never mind my age, for this write up I will refer to myself as a boy.

And you thought only single ladies had it bad and men could get away with it. Well think again, we men have it bad too but it may not be the same level of bad. There isn’t a day where there isn’t some auntie, someone, who wants to see me married off, who is concerned why I am not getting married.

“Baba don’t you want to to get married? Don’t you want someone to keep mumma company, to look after her?” But what about baba, auntie, I feel like asking them.  Why should I marry for mumma? How do you know the one I marry will keep her company and look after her? I that was a case I would prefer to keep a caretaker for Maa. 

The sole purpose of these people is to see you married off. They made it their life’s vision and mission to remind you this every time you see them. I don’t think they like me Happy. I wonder if they would like their daughters to look after their mother-in-laws, I wonder if their daughters would be interested in taking care of someone else’s mother. In all fairness, it would be unfair to expect that from someone.

Then you have another set of people who live to gossip, who can’t help themselves in spreading rumours. If an empty, idle mind is a devil’s workshop then  they have a whole manufacturing unit in their head. Cause they have nothing better to do and their head is empty and their brains have turned into mulch.

Who I choose to meet, to hang about, to help and support is my choice that doesn’t mean that I am seeing them or having an affair with them or going around, hooking up with them. How I wish they kept their perverse, narrow minded thoughts to themselves. 

I guess they subscribe to the Rajishri school of thought, ek ladka aur ladki kabi dost nahin ho sakte hain, or is it the KJo school thought, whatever, god save their souls. Just when you thought that such people only exist in Hindi serials, they surprise you with their absurd thoughts.

So there you have it, two sets of people who you really wish had something better to do, something better to spend their energy on and let you live life the way you want it. Or may be they just can’t see you happy, your happiness burns them with envy.

You try to let their mindless questions and gossips roll off you, but sometimes they do effect you, no matter how hard you try and not let it affect you. Ao you put down this write up to rant about it, in a way.

No comments: