Sunday, July 14, 2019

Coming a Full Circle

Today (yes it ain’t 12 yet as I write this) life felt like it came full circle. It was three years back where I attended the first ever inaugural promo run of the IDBI Federal Life Insurance Mumbai Half Marathon (damn that’s quite a mouthful but I know we have to put it that way to be correct), and after those three years today was only the second time I’ve actually attended the promo run. 





I didn’t attend, or I should be saying I missed most of the promo runs even when I was an ambassador (last year) with my pic being front and centre. For the inaugural run, I flagged off my MRR Training Run at one end of Bandra, quickly took a rick and went to the other end (changing my tee in the rick), flagging off the promo run, and then return back to MRR duty. Missed most of the other promo run (even the one on my Birthday because I was running in Ladakh).

Today felt like life coming a full circle, as I stood there hooting and howling as my buddies took the stage, as Sunil sir called them on. During that first promo run I hardly knew many runners, I didn’t know Sunil sir and Sangy Ma’am that well. But all that has changed. I am such in awe and respect for both of them, and Sangy Ma’am hugs are a must before the Mumbai Marathon. I am part of the running fraternity, and I will confess many know me, though I struggle to place them, remember their name, and trust me I am now way trying to be snobbish, I squarely blame it on age. I am part of this crazy group of Runners that I call my family, that is MRR, a.k.a. Mumbai Road Runners, giving me an opportunity to give back to running what I have received from it, love, inspiration and friends for a life time.


But what I remembered the most of that day is asking this distinguished gentleman with silver hair and wearing this Oakley glares, ans that bright colourful race gear, if I could have the pleasure and honour to run with him. And though he tried to discourage me, saying he was slow runner and he was going according to his training plan, I still insisted on running with him. The next day I read his beautiful post and it put a lump in my throat. Today as I ran I once again I remembered him, ran with him in my heart. Raviji I will always fondly remember you.

What today, or yesterday (as its past 12 now and we have moved into tomorrow) made me realise was on that day I was just another runner, just another drop in the sea of runners. Years from that day I am still just a drop in the ocean but now people do know me, and sometimes that leaves me feeling awkward. That day I had the opportunity to run with Raviji, today I ran with my buddies Dylan, Subhjit and Rajat, followed by a yummy breakfast with some awesome company.



From admiring the runners on the stage, to being one of those runners on that stage, to cheering my buddies today (felt like handing my sash over to them), Life sure has come a full circle.


No comments: