Monday, December 23, 2019

A Trip... 40 years in the making

 It’s strange how you wait all your life to make it to a place and when you get there it feels, like, ok, very meh. I remember all through my growing years, wanting to come out here and live here, just like my cousins. Used to see the life they had and wanted the same life for myself and my family, ok I was a little selfish kiddo, wanted for myself. But as I grew older (and now I am old) the sheen for the place sort of just slowly faded away, to the extent that I began to feel like yeah, i know I am in Dubai.

I know my mum is all excited about the trip, way more excited than I am, after all she gets to go on her third trip abroad, third trip to Dubai, but most importantly she gets to spend it with all her children. So I guess that without a doubt makes her one happy mumma.

Well not that I am acting sullen about the place, ccbehaving like a grinch. Though my perception of it is that it’s a very artificial, very man made place. But then that’s what I have learned from reading about the place. I need to take it in and then maybe change the way I feel about the place.

Already been gobsmacked by the train ride from the Arrivals gate to immigration, passing through the terminals, past the planes and to immigration and baggage  claims. It was one hell of a ride. And after immigration and baggage claims (and a quick trip to Duty Free), it was great to see my sisters, thus completing the family.

The view from my sister’s apartment sure is spectacular, makes you want to go out and explore. And hey that’s just the start of the holidays, makes you curious of what it has in store for you, what does Dubai have in store for you. So yes in away excited to explore the city and see what Dubai has in store. But in the end, the heart is still in Mumbai.


No comments: