Sunday, December 15, 2019

The Christmas Bazaar Experience

In all my 40 years of existence (yes that’s how young I am, as if you don’t know it by now), I’ve never once been to a Christmas Bazaar (or have I, memory fails me, call it the side effects of growing old). But all that changed over the past couple of days, I am no longer a Christmas Bazaar virgin (am I entitled or permitted to use those terms). And boy what an experience I had, but from the other side. 

I’ll admit, I am not too comfortable being around a lot of pavwala, despite the fact that I myself am one (again, as if you didn’t already know that). Sometimes it gets difficult to deal with their bitchy, judgemental, gossipy and narrow-minded ways. Well not all of them are that way, you’ll always have an exception to the rule, and in this case there are quite a few.

So when my friends at Soul Sugar and White Peacock Craft decided to put up a stall at the bazaar, I jumped at the opportunity to help them out, to offer them my services, cause that’s what friends are for (cue Stevie Wonder on the harmonica), cause I’ll be there for you (clap, clap, clap). So right from setting up the table, to putting up the displays, to understanding the prices and the different  articles being sold, it was all new, and a tad bit overwhelming (cause this old soul takes time to remember things). Was a bit worried if I wouldn’t remember all the prices and the items, and about flubbing names, kept saying upskilling instead of upcycled. But standing there watching my friends interact with those who stopped by, learned a lot from them. Slowly and steadily tried to build the confidence to do the same.

It was site to see all the other vendors busily going about, setting up their stalls before the bazaar was officially opened. You marvelled at all the items they had to sell, the variety of things available, mostly Christmassy and a few not so Christmassy. You had Christmas ornaments and baubles and statues and decorations, all variety of food (mostly non-veg) that caused an involuntary drooling and rumbling of the stomach.

Once the bazaar was officially opened you had these typical catholic aunties make their way through the various stalls, giving a cursory glance at our stall, no smile and then move on to the next table to the uncle who was selling traditional Christmas sweets. Guess non-traditional delicacy and handcrafted Christmas gift items weren’t their thing.

As the the evening moved on there was this crackle in the air. The entire place started to have a wonderful festive vibe. There was carols being played, people with Santa hats moving around from one stall to another, all merry and jolly, greeting each other, walking around with their drink in hand, children of every age, running with their goodies and bubbles, worrying their parents to get them goodies, who busy at the stalls purchasing their very own goodies and clothes. The entire place was filled with a Christmassy cheery, and you didn’t have to be a catholic, or Christian, or a Bandraite to get all caught up in this Christmassy feeling that wrapped itself around you like a nice warm hug (and it helped that there was a chill in the air). 

There was a Santa walking around, shaking hands and clicking  and you even had an East Indian choir, singing carols in Marathi , the first time I actually heard them. Ladies dressed  in lugdas and men in traditional dresses (actually didn’t know what they are called). 


We had quite a bit of people stopping by our stall, admiring what we had on displayed, complimenting us for the articles on display. curious to know what we had for them. What drew them were p the hand painted plates and mugs and not to forget the beautiful cake tower, made from cake pops, a play on the Croquembouche. I had this smile plastered on my face (so now I knew how newly weds felt at their reception, something I am not going to experience). But as the night wore on, didn’t feel the need to put it on as it turned genuine. 

Had a wonderful time interacting with the members who stopped by at our stall enquiring what we had on display and the prices. Taking a cue from my buddies I tried to do the best I could. But then when you enjoy what you are doing everything tends to flow. And moreover I was doing what I loved doing, what i do at MRR, interact with people, and I had good teachers too. So I really enjoyed what I was doing, even at the end of the day my feet ached, as I stood there he insisted I so down. I couldn’t help but be a bit cheery and silly, jolly soul, who couldn’t keep still, or quiet, dancing to the music being played/ sung, giving impromptu cha richa lessons. Had this storm urge to dance right in the midst of the crowd.

Day 2 had a very similar vibe, a very festive, jolly atmosphere. Not sure if there were more l Day 1. But then the spirit was almost as high as the first day. People enjoying their food and drinks while the danced, or just check mout the various stalls, making their purchases.

Though we started slowly, we did manage to have some brisk sales. I was worried about how I would make it through the evening, cause I had run 25kms, completed house chores and barely slept. But somehow made it through, cause the atmosphere carried me, and enjoying and loving what I was doing (something that I had forgotten how it felt, thanks to a certain that will not be named). So we had people stopping by enquiring if they could get the items customised, items that cneedn’t be Christmassy, kids stopping by with their friends to buy the delicious food goodies after checking the cash they had, going ahead, only to return with even more of their friends.

Everything and everyone felt so holly, jolly, and you couldn’t help feel the same with them. And their spirit spurred you on, and more importantly you remembered the reason why you were doing this all, and if you loved what you did, there was nothing like it. Grateful that I was part of the team, though I hope I was able to contribute.

At the end of the day this was an experience, a good and wonderful experience. One that you’ll cherish cause for a change you enjoyed what you’re doing. So when it was a time to wrap, felt a tinge of sadness that this experience had come to end, but then all good things don’t last forever, all things come to an end, so did this bazaar experience too had to come to an end. Damn I am already missing it, having withdrawal symptoms, if that’s even possible. One thing I was happy for was the opportunity and experience. Moreover it was important moments spent with people who you care for, a lot. So In the end you are grateful for the very Christmassy Bazaar experience.

P.S. Dearest Dylan thank you so much for your help in getting the table. Always grateful for your help and all you did for us.




No comments: