Monday, September 27, 2021

.. by the river


I didn’t know I actually needed this run till ran it. Thanks to the pandemic it’s been a long time since I have ran a race (the Stadium  doesn’t count as it’s a team relay, running round in circles).

They said it was River Marathon, but we hardly saw the river during the run. But that said this race well and truly humbled you, showing where you stand on the fitness pyramid, if not your training system.

I never really wanted to run this race cause I knew I was not close to the best shape and though I felt good about my workouts I need to get back to being disciplined and upping my regime and working on getting mentally there. But in the circumstances ans some convincing played it’s part in getting me there.

They say when the route challenges you, you rise to the challenge. I don’t think I quite did that. I admit I didn’t quite rise to the challenge. The route was dynamic and challenging and not quite an easy one. But to do it was an achievement in itself cause it shows that you got the guts to experience the most challenging route cause that what makes them awesome, that what makes you awesome. Add the weather as another element to the challenge. You can prove what you are truly made of.

Since the route was loop, you smiled at every inclined and grimaced at every decline, knowing that this would be reversed on your way back. And there are places where even walking up an incline was tough, so forget about the running.


You doff your invisible hat, or a visible cap, to everyone who’s doing a distance much more than you, cause they are running the route many more times than you. You actually envy those ahead of you and those who pace you cause they are doing a major job at tackling the route than you have. That said there’s going to be a definite bruising of of ego, even though it may not be called for.  You know you are better than that, and even though you make use age as an excuse, you know what you need to do.

So, in the words of Dory (albeit a bit modified), you just keep running, running, pass sleepy villages who are still in their slumber as you pass by, cows and dogs who lift their gaze wondering who are these crazy fools running pass them. You run by fields and endless grassy expanses, and silhouette of trees hidden in the morning fog, and by the highway with speeding truckers. And yes you do catch a glimpse of the river a few times.

As you always, you take this all in , grateful to be running, if not strong, but still you are grateful to be alive after what the world has gone through. So you are thankful for the opportunity, for the experience. And though you may grimace, deep in your heart you are thankful.

In the end what makes a trip great is the company that you keep, and my buddies  at the Stride with GB were crazy, super, fun. From the antics in the bus, the posing for pics, to the super running of the race, to the water sports, and not forgetting to take care of my mum, all made me forget that what was troubling my mind, the cares of the world, and made me smile, and laugh, and have a good time. It was feeling of pride to see many of them succeed and thrive and get the recognition they rightly deserved. I am eternally grateful to Coach, Diva and all my super awesome and crazy buddies for making this trip one for the memory books. I so love each and everyone of you.

As I have always maintained, each run is a learning experience of self and where you stand, and there was a lot to learn from this race. I will admit that I was disappointed and down on myself, I know there’s always scope to grow and improve. But for now I know I am going cherish this memory and learn and move on, like I always have. After all it’s Rodmaness in This Boys Life!

2 comments:

DrBhupisuhag said...

Congratulations Roddy brother on Runnuddies event.

Rodman’s World said...

Thank you so much Sir… hope to meet you soon