Sunday, May 28, 2017

The Zumba Experience: Anyone can do it

A confession... I've never done Zumba before... well maybe a bit before one of the race... but then felt like a total spaz and gave up. So when my bestie and Zin with the Zen, Tanya messaged me to tell me about an idea she had, I was a bit apprehensive at first. Not because I have two left feet, in fact I can dance well in hold, but not sure if I could pick her choreography. Nonetheless the enthusiast in me took over and I said yes. So we fixed up a time to meet and practice.

Day one, I turn up at Tanya's place, after completing my workout at the gym, so I am totally stiff as a stick. I stand a gape as I see what she has in mind. Thinking I could use some of salsa lesson here. Keeping up with her is a different question. We settle on Zumba Coumbia (hope I got that right) routine, which Tanya so hopefully feels I will be able to pick. The idea is to show people that anyone can do Zumba. And she goes on tell me how people take time to get the steps, and I shudder.

Nonetheless I am game and we begin with the choreography. At first I try to mimic her and keep up with her. As I mentioned, I had just returned from the gym and so my movement feel stiff, a general problem with all us gymmers. So when I try a step it looks more like Sunny Deol stomping around. Slowly and steadily I get them down. I now no longer resemble Sunny Paaji... well not much. So we fix a time for the next day to shoot the video and what we plan to wear.

Unfortunately Tanya's friend Maggy cannot make it and so we've got to push it a week later. This for me is a blessing in disguise. I am not sure if I could have managed to pull it off if we were to shoot the very next day. Now I have a week to pick up choreography. Unfortunately for me, work got me busy that I have given much time and thought to it. 

Come Friday, I confirm with Tanya if we are still on and ask for some more practice. So again on Saturday I turn up at Tanya's place to practice some. This time we work on the steps and polish them off. We work looking at the mirror and then without it. I know I am conscious and following Tanya's lead, trying to mimic her and Keep up with her. So we get the steps down, we even try to bribe the poor Brettykin to shoot a video. Once done we try to coordinate time and outfits, hoping we can record it tomorrow.

And so the day of reckoning arrives, and Tanya's car's steering is either locked or jammed. After couple of unsuccessful attempts she gets help from her husband Erwin. So handle unlocked and we are off. We first pick up Tanya's friend Maggy, who will be our videographer, cinematographer, editor , all rolled up in one. 

When we get to the location we see that there kids skating there(as if I didn't know that... but oops forgot to mention it to Tanya) and then there are runners getting their Sunday long run. From that very moment there was a fear that rose up and made me conscious that people will be looking at us and I am definitely no Zumba dancer. Lucky for us there's a garden, and as we explore we find it has a small amphitheater, giving us the perfect location to shoot.

And so we do take one and  I am still very conscious of what I am doing and trying best to follow Tanya's leads, but I am aware that I have fumbled a couple of times. Tanya tries to make comfortable but some how I am unable to play off her energy. So goes take two. With take three Maggy switches from a DSLR to her iPhone as the video would be lighter, at the same time helping to polish our steps. By now the sun is up and I am turning into a mass of sweat. I am trying to relax and enjoy the moment. Unfortunately for me, I still fumble, miss steps and mess choreography.

So now we have to do it one more time. I am determined to do this well, after all its for my friend who wants to put it up on her Page, just a part of it, not a complete video as Zins are not allowed to post entire choreography online. We get a brief respite when the sun decides to hide behind some clouds. So determined to do this well (also it was getting late and I wanted get in my Sunday run) I try and relax, lip sync the song and play off Tanya's energy. Low and behold we get a good take. We take a couple of introductory shorts and the mandatory selfie, and it's a wrap.... wooohooo!!!!

So I thank Tanya and Maggy for the wonderful experience and especially Tanya for believing that I could pull it off and asking me to be a part of it. So thank yous done.... I am off for my run.

That, in so many words, was my Zumba experience. And I've got the wonderful Zin Tanya to thank for it. Would I do it again, well... if it helps me loose weight and my running... hell yeah... I am game day.

No comments: