Friday, August 18, 2017

Religion and Me

I believe in religion 
Without being too religious 
I believe in the power of prayer
A divine being
Who is omnipresent 

I often find it odd
That we stand in front of statue
To prayer when the divine is everywhere
But then there's nothing wrong with that
Just the way I feel

I don't consider myself religious
But I am proud to be a Roman Catholic 
However that doesn't mean
I look at other religions condescendingly

I believe all men and women are equal
And so all religions are equal 
There is no religion
Superior or inferior to others

I am catholic 
But I can never understand 
When people ask
If I am a practicing Catholic
Never could understand 
What do they mean by it
Cause religion ain't not profession
That needs to be practiced 

I believe that all religions profess 
peace and love
Or at least as far as I know
None spews hatred
Or condones violence
They profess acceptance and forgiveness 
A feeling of inclusion
No matter who you are
No matter what you are
Or where you come from
There's no exclusivity 
Unless you are part of a cult
In which case all the best to you

I don't think you can 
Customise religion to you liking
But you can always be rational 
Than just having blind faith
Let your faith be accepting of all
Absorbing all experience 
No matter the beliefs

Sadly it's the interpretation of man
That makes religion narrow
Often unaccepting and 
In a way, intolerant 
That causes pain
In the name of religion 
That makes one look down 
Upon the other 
Often with suspicion 
Often with mistrust

It's man who has turned religion upon us
And never the other way round
It is man that causes pain
And puts it all on religion

We all have the right
To practice the religion we choose
As much as we have a right 
To live the life we want

No religion propagates hate
Or intolerance
The sooner we understand this
And we accept this
The better it is for us
The lesser pain we will inflict 
On each other
And in turn on ourselves
Making the world a peaceful place 
To dwell in

No comments: