Sunday, August 20, 2017

Up and up: The Hyderabad Marathon Experience

Up and up...where the hell are the downs...  shouldn't what goes up also come down... these were few of the thoughts that I thought would cross my mind running the Hyderabad Marathon... ok ok... Half Marathon. To an extent these thoughts did cross my mind but I have begun to realise that when a route challenges you, you rise to the challenge.

The Hyderabad Marathon is billed as a marathon with one of the toughest route and it sure does live up to the expectations that it sets. For a good extent of the run you going up flyovers that are over a kilometre long and unrelenting inclines with very few declines.

A couple of runners advised that you don't challenge the route cause if you do it will bite right back. You've got to give it its due respect and you will reap the benefit of it. 

Now that I have run it, I can say that all this is true. There are continuous inclines and flyovers, and roads without much shade. But that said, the route teaches you to be strong and tests your endurance and holds a mirror upto you and shows you your strong self. The inclines of Peddar Road seems just like a fraction of the inclines here.

Yes there are inclines and flyovers, but don't let this daunt you. You give the route it due respect but don't let it overwhelm you. I learnt that a route that challenges you is the best route you'll ever run. This is one dynamic route, nothing here is boring. The route always has an aspect to keep you active and make you feel alive. The route is alive and interesting, always something to challenge you at every corner. Love it and it will love you back. To add to it, you're blessed with an awesome weather conducive to running. Never would the sight of an overcast skies be more welcomed.

The route had hydration stations at regular intervals with each of these stations adequately stocked (with Fast and Up making me feel like home) and the volunteers on their feet and ready to help. An aspect that I liked was that the Volunteers themselves were holding the garbage bag to collect the garbage and not other help.

One aspect that I didn't find much was crowd support. Ok I am a spoilt mumbaikar who has been spoilt by the crowd support. Yes there were school kids but again as for the Vasai Virar Marathon, most of the cheer group seemed to be forced. School children in uniform does not seem like voluntary. That's where I missed Mumbai the most.

But that being said, this was the only grouse I had. Everything else was well managed and well organised, the hydration station, the medal distribution, the hot breakfast. 

So now I can proudly say that I managed to tame my fear of slopes and with it Hyderabad.

No comments: