Wednesday, February 20, 2019

The Joke

You may not like my hair
Or the clothes that I wear
The way that I walk 
Or how I talk
But that’s who I am 
The one that you choose not to see
But you don’t deserve to see the real me
So the jokes on you

I may not do as you say
Or follow the rules that you lay
I am not going to meet your expectations 
Or even be part of your posse 
Be at your beck and call
Do what you want me to do
Cause that’s what I don’t want to
But in the end, the jokes on you 

You may label me
And call me names
Laugh behind my back
Make faces when I don’t look
Make me a subject of your wicked games
But you don’t get to crack jokes on me
Without trying to get to know me
But for every joke you try to crack
The jokes on you 

You may be critical about the way I am
Have something to say 
About everything that I do
But you don’t get to criticise me
If you don’t try to know me
For everything you have to say
The jokes on you

You choose to see 
Only what you want to see
You may see the smile
But never see the pain beneath 
Cause the vulnerable me
Is what you will never see
If you haven’t experienced my pain
Gone to the places I’ve been 
Or tried to walk in my shoes
You’ll know me, and for that
The jokes on you

You may use your words
Like a dagger
Slashing at me, 
leaving me all cut and bleeding
Never caring about the hurt you cause 
But no matter what you may try to do
The jokes on you

You may try to stick a label on me
Cause you don’t get me
Cause i don’t fit in the world you create 
Judge me, box me
Try to recruit me 
To be part of your communities 
Try to take away freedom
Clip away my wings
Cause though my body may break
My spirit shall always be free
And for that you shall never own me
Hence the jokes on you 

No matter you may try to do
The jokes on you 


No comments: