Friday, August 10, 2007

Dance Session

The last time I spoke about attending the kickboxing session at my gym. Well yesterday went for the dance session. Well this was typical Bollywood dance with it's typical jathkas and miming and dancing to the lyrics of the song. I do consider myself as quite a competent dancer. Know how to jive since a kid (something that I pride as being in my blood). Have taken Salsa classes and made it through the beginners and improvers level (before giving up). Even featured in a documentary for a Friend about Salsa in Mumbai. Bot Bollywood dancing proved a whole different ball game altogether.

Firstly there were three different guys instructing on songs that they previously worked on. So it was trying to understand the steps, playing catch up. The steps that they were doing were pretty quick and if you couldn't do them in the same way they were doing, they looked very awkward. Though these guys made it look pretty neat, trust me it wasn't that easy. Felt like a total spaz. Felt like I had two left feet. And trust me I haven't felt like that since Kaytee (my Salsa Guru) taught us step involving the open break.

What surprised me the most is that in spite all the awkwardness and the two left feet, I did enjoy the session. Though didn't like the songs they were using (Since they were playing Hindi film music and me used to listening to English music), started enjoying the music. Lasted the entire session and at the same time managed to sweat it out, which actually was the main aim. :)

No comments: