Monday, October 09, 2017

Dearest Aunties & Uncles: An open letter to those concerned about my marriage

Dear Aunties and Uncles and all my concerned relatives,

Those whom I happen to run into at family functions, religious functions, weddings and funerals and Months Mind masses,

I thank you so much for all your concerns that you shower upon me. I know I am, in your words and not mine, good looking and handsome,not getting any younger, with a bunch of grey hairs (my George Clooney look) and need to stop running and just settle down. I appreciate your offer to look for a suitable match for me within your locality, in your relations, who would definitely want to marry their daughter with me. I appreciate your concern about my wellbeing and my mental state. Trust me I am doing well by myself and I am happy-go-lucky.

They say people learn from their mistakes, but the wiseman learns from the mistakes of others. In that way I am just an observer who is learning from what I see. Don’t get me wrong, I have nothing against marriage, in fact that I respect the institution of marriage (without which I wouldn’t have been here, or would have been a snow... or whatever name a bastard child would be given (how very Game of Thrones) making you loose out on some juicy gossip). But marriage is just not for me.

If procreation and furthering the family name is a reason for marriage, then that I can do without marriage... I can adopt a child and give him or her a home And family name (what were you thinking you naughty devil you). So that’s out of the way.

I thank you for your concern about my mom. She’s doing well. I know I can and I am taking good care of her. Talking about moms, how is your mom or mom in law doing? Is she living with you? Are you all living together? 

So don’t you worry about my maa I can take good care of her. If I need to I can keep a house help or a care giver for her. I don’t need to get married to have someone to take care of her. You say she needs someone to run the house and take over the kitchen and household duties.

Let me ask you something, is this what you tell or advice your daughters to do? We live in a day and age where a lady has every right as a man to earn a living and work, follow her dreams and make a name for herself and not be tied to or expected to run a family. And you know what ... I am all for it. So I don’t think I want to tie someone down to looking after my mother, in which case I will keep a servant anyway.

So my dearest concerned aunties and uncles, to cut a long story short, I am not looking to get married. I am happy with my Bachelor’s degree and I have no intention of loosing it any time soon. If marriage were to happen, it would be of my choice and when the time is right for me, not for anyone else, age, religion, cast, gender, sex no bar. And don’t worry, if I do plan to take the plunge, tie the knot, become the next balli ka bakra, I will surely let you know. Till then let me enjoy my bachelorhood. 

Yours truly,
Rodu.... Roddie.... Pottiya... Son.... Baba

No comments: