Sunday, November 05, 2017

Life, Lemons and the Runner

“Everything that happens, happens for the best”... “When life throws you lemons, you make lemonade”... Well if you tell this to a Runner who hasn’t been able to do his weekend long run, be sure to duck the lemons that will be thrown at you.

When a bad back gets you down the only thing that you can do is hope that it better heal quickly and you are able to hit the road and the Gym because face it the whole world seems to be running and you have been putting on weight which you need to loose before your vacation trip (face it, everyone wants to look hot on their vacations, especially if it’s near a beach and you want a presentable beach body).

So dil pay pathar rakh kay rest lene ka decision lay liya (vow I can talk Hindi... woohoo). So I decide I would head to NCPA and volunteer there.

The weather was perfect and the sight was beautiful and met up one of my best gals who I have not seen in ages (except on Instagram). The moonset over the Arabian Sea was breathtaking (see I am also gold at geography). And to top it all it was meeting my fellow, privileged runners (as I was underprivileged if not being able to run), interacting with them, getting to know them, posing for pictures, cheering people who had dressed for the Halloween Run, in short, being in the centre of all the fun, actually took off the edge of the pain of not running. God bless our SPOC and admins and our Angel volunteers and of course our sponsors, breakfast, energy bars, yogurts, energy bar (sadly didn’t taste any).

So returning home with a glad heart but sleepy head (actually dozed off riding short gun with Captain Praveen... I am so sorry). Went on to take a nap with a glad heart cause it was a morning well spent.

But hey it doesn’t end here. Well then your phone keeps buzzing with people who have completed their race and runs, leaving you feeling those guilty pangs (or was that indulgence pangs of over eating). The world was out there running and you were the only one missing out on the running fun.

So finally succumbing to the guilt (cause your back’s doing good) so set out on a run. Initially thinking that 30k was doable but then settling to the idea that it is not to push the back ... and the maddening picnickers... who I swear need to learn how to damn well park their vehicles and drive on the right side of the road.

So I went, dodging motorbikes, pedestrians, cars and buses, first down to Marve beach and then Dana Pani beach, just hoping, hoping I get to see the sunset. So I passed the  previously mentioned parked vehicles and our vehicular traffic, often having to walk. But I managed to maintain my arm swings and foot strikes (phew) and no signs of the nagging back pain. So passed couples getting it on (not completely and I wasn’t gawking at them), men enjoying their drinks and dancing in drunken stupor, boys trying to take a selfie  and dance to some weird music. 

Survived all that and maintained a decent pace and reached back home for some stretches... and yes got to see a beautiful sunset. But then the weighing machine hands me some bad news that I piled on instead of getting it off... so now there’s more work to be done.

In the end, I got inspired by each and everyone of my Runner friends and went out for an evening run and did decently well. So that brings an end to an down and up weekend. So back again to the Monday and battling the weekend blues. But hey had a good time and that’s what matter.

No comments: