Saturday, November 18, 2017

The Carolling Dilemma

As the temperature dips low
And the weather is starting to get cold 
it means that October heat
Has made way for winter’s cold

It’s time to break out the woolies 
The sweaters and the hoodies
To drink eggnogs and what nots
All the things that warm body and spirit

But the ears yearn to hear
To those familiar refrains
That comes with the season
Even if it’s over a month too soon

My heart wants to sing
Like a bird on a tree
Even though I know that 
I sound like a braying mule

My cheek’s Gone rosy red
From the breeze and the cold
And joy fills the soul
So I don’t care if it’s not December yet
I will hum away

I will sing about sleigh bells 
and silver bells
And  jingling of the bells

About trumpets and angelic choirs 
And a drummer boy drumming his drum
Going rumpa pump pump
While we go fa la la la
Announcing the birth of a saviour 

Although I may not know snow
It will not stop me dreaming
About a winter wonderland 
White and blue and whatever colour
And riding through the snow
In a one horse open sleigh 
Led by a reindeer with a red nose

And of course a fat man
With a snowy beard, rosy cheeks 
Wearing a red suit
Not knowing how to use the door
Comes down the chimney
When the whole world is asleep
While kids tip toeing for a glimpse

Though you may think me crazy
Singing carols so soon 
But then the heart wants 
What the heart wants

So if it want to sing carols
A moment too soon
I will hum and sing it
Not a moment too soon

Christmas resides 
in the heart always
A feeling that will never go away
Making it stay with us
Long after the date has gone

So if I want to sing carols 
In November, May or June
I will do that
Bringing joy to my soul
Joy to the world

No comments: