Sunday, September 17, 2017

An Affair with the Fair

I can say I am Bandra Fair baby. No I am not born in Bandra or lived in Bandra (though I worked a couple of years in Bandra). What I do know (or at least that's what I have been told) is that my mom went into labour after visiting the fair. 

I was born on the Sunday following the 8th of September (yes the 9th was a Sunday, that's if you know my birthday, in 1979), my mum had gone to the fair and my elder sis made her go up and down the stairs, which did the trick, and as they say, the rest is.... me.... tadaaaa...

My earliest memories of the fair is going up the slope that leads to the Basilica and down the stairs, always fascinated by the wax offerings, wanting one, never truly understanding their purpose. I couldn't see much of the statue of Mother Mary, face as I was little, cute, chubby kid (come on I had to mention that). No trip to the fair  was complete without kaddio-beddio (that's what those addictive delights were called) and yellow bottle of soap bubbles. I remember spending countless amount of hours blowing bubbles with my sis, then spilling it all over the place, much to the charging of aunt and mom.

Over the years I didn't visit the fair too often because of the crowds and my aunt worrying we may just get lost. I remember one year going with my dada on a Thursday (which happened to be my weekly off), throwing a tantrum for a very expensive toy gun and then ended up breaking it within few hours of getting home and getting the scolding of my life from my dad.

The past decade visiting the fair something what me and my best friend Yash would do. Make it for the first mass in the morning, when there are less crowds, go to the canteen for a quick breakfast and then head down to the fair. A few times my aunt and mom also accompanied us. 

I remember this one time, it was after my younger sister's godmother's funeral, we went for the fair. I don't know what got into me but began to weep, much to the surprise of Yash, who didn't know what to do. He held me tenderly as only he could do.

Last year it was just me and Yash, as aunt's condition was not good and mumma had to be with her. This year the visit to the Mount was a bitter sweet experience. My aunt had long since gone and sorely missed Yash who is working in Hyderabad. But had my Mumma for company and that didn't dampen the devotion.

One thing I know, no matter where I may be or who may be with me, somehow my heart will always find a way to be in Bandra during the month of September. On a side note, I prefer visiting the mount after the fair when it's quiet, serene and peaceful.

No comments: