Thursday, September 07, 2017

Life from both sides

As I stand at the cusp
At the turn of another year
To grow a year older
Never knowing if I'll be wiser
Even though I know I am not 
Turning a new leaf
Cause I don't know what all to change

The year gone by
 Took me through hell
Made me feel pain 
That I thought would never end
But somehow I made it through
I glad to have known it all

The flames that I have been through
Have made me change 
From the man I once knew
To the one I became
Forging my will
Making me strong 
Helping to restore my faith in me

I seen my life through both sides now
Through ups and downs
I have seen it all 
I have no illusions 
Of there being a change
But still I hope and keep the faith
Somehow I'll find my way

I longed to say "I love you"
And hear it said back too
Even though I knew it very well
This was a foolish and selfish thought
Not hearing it made me lonely and insane

I have made mistakes
I have stumbled and fell 
Sometimes headlong 
Into my personal hell
Darkness was what I felt
I longed to put an end to it all

Not knowing when it all would end
If there'll be light
To banish the darkness I felt
Cause the mistake I made 
Left me feeling ashamed
I wanted it all to end

People thought they knew what I felt
Telling what I should do
Never really caring to know well 
The pain and loneliness I felt
Telling me that I need to change

They didn't realise 
That advice was not what I needed
Just a patient ear
To hear the pain that I felt
For companionship 
Is what I longed for 
Cause love seemed far from me

Broken and battered was how I felt 
Down in the dumps with no will to spare
But then friends came to my aid 
Love helped me find a way
Restoring the faith that I once had

They dusted me off and wiped my tears
They gave me hope, 
helped me get back to my feet
Without a judgemental word
They showed that they genuinely cared

Love embraced me and made me see
What a foolish boy I had been
Through fears and loneliness
Love was always there for me

There may have been change
But change is part of life
Is something we've got to accept 
Without a fret
Not knowing what what will happen next
Cause love gave me a reason to live 

Love gave me hope and banished despair
Showed that it will always be there
When I need it it will always be there 
I just need to reach out and it will be there

I've looked at life from both sides now
From subtle breeze to stormy clouds
From the highs and lows that I have known
I finally found way back home

Now I have no fear of the dark in me
Knowing I'll never let it conquer me
For friends and family are my support
Love will always be there for me
Always leading me on.


No comments: