Wednesday, September 20, 2017

The Boy and the Rain and the Road

Sitting there, staring out of my window
Seeing the rains as it pattered down
A bit gloomy and a bit flustered 
Cause your laptop not connecting
Though your mobile managed to 
In all your frustration,
Suddenly there's a quite whisper
Coming from the window outside

And low and behold it whispered to me
"I know you may not like me
And this may not be your time to run
But if you do, I promise to keep you cool
I will not let you feel the strain
Or the heat and the humidity 
I know you want to go out there and run"

And with that I was sold
This so appealed to the runner in me
And with the laptop not connecting
I needn't be told 
So it was off with my office stuff, 
and into my running gear
Much to the charging of my mum
Poor lady would have to live with my cold
If I happened to catch one

But then I could feel the sea call out to me
And the road beckon me
The rain was already whispering to me
So I truly had to go
And as Shania said, life was about to get good

So I went down on to the rainy streets
Splishing and sploshing in the puddles
Making the most of the pattering rains
Much to the bemusement of the onlookers
People cuddled under their umbrellas 
Taking shelter under bus stops
And the various shops
Trying to keep dry, scurrying off 
To where they needed to be

They looked at me with amusement
With weird stares
Maybe thinking who this fool was
Running in the afternoon in the pouring rain
Maybe he has totally lost it, with nothing to do
But then what do they know
What fun it is to go out in the rains

So taking heed to what SIA said
I had thick skin and an elastic heart
Like the back of a duck, a lotus leaf
I let their stares flow off me
And continued down the road 
Dodging traffic, splashing through puddles
Jumping over fallen branches
Soaking myself to the bone

Wondering what a difference a day makes
How the weather and mood
Can bring about a change in thoughts
Last evening what annoyed
What I wanted to avoid 
Today I was soaking in it
Enjoying every moment in it
Soaking in it, taking it all in
No cares and bothers of this world
Or maybe just a thought of composing this verse

Slowly and steadily through the puddles and pools
Past rickshaws and motorcyclists and cars
People in tempos and buses
And then there she was in all her majesty 
Against the grey skies, 
She didn't look disturbed but not calm either
Just alive and kicking and majestic
Not letting a gloomy day get her down
She smiled at me and waved to me
A gleam caught my eye like a twinkle 
She beckoned me on , calling me on

There she was in all her beauty and splendour
I just stood there admiring her power
Mesmerised by her beauty and strength
Spending a couple of moments
To take it all in
The sound of the gentle breeze
The waves as it rose and broke on the shore 
Like music to the ears

But then it was time to part
To get back home 
Through it all she just smiled and waved
And in the gentle breeze, she kissed my cheeks
Caressed it like a lover could only do
And so slowly I made my way back
Glad to have paid heed to the call
To have listened to that whispers
Cause soaking in that feeling 
Is the best thing a runner will do
And the runner who will forever be wild and free

No comments: